Fundamentals of Fair Housing - Virtual
St. Louis Association of Realtors12777 Olive Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63141-6210
Ronnette Smith, Trainer, Zeffert & Associates
Learning objectives for this seminar include -
Civil Rights Act – 1866
• 13th Amendment
• 14th Amendment
Civil Rights Act of 1964
• Title VI - prohibits discrimination in housing with federally funded programs
Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII – Fair Housing Act
• Established protected classes: Race, Color, Religion, National Origin
• 1974 – Added Sex
• 1988 – Handicap and Familial Status
New construction requirements in design standards
Expanded HUD’s Role
What is discrimination
• Review of the seven Federal Protected classes
• Additional Protected Classes: State, City, Local
What is Sexual Harassment
• DOJ 2017 Initiative
Prohibited Actions Defined
• Blockbusting, Steering, Redlining, Refusing to rent, Discriminatory conditions
Advertising Do’s and Don’t’s
Disparate Impact Defined
Crime Free and Nuisance Ordinances
Disability Civil Rights Laws
Section 504; FHAA (Fair Housing Amendments Act); ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
• Reasonable Accommodation and Reasonable Modification
Importance of Clear and Written Policies
SLAA's Event Cancellation Policy
- Deadline to register for events is 10 days prior, unless otherwise noted. After the deadline date, refunds are not available for any event.
- Cancellations must be received by the deadline date, otherwise payment will be expected.
- No-shows the day of the seminar will be expected to pay the total fee.
- Due to event expenses, no-shows to “FREE” seminars will be charged a $25.00 administrative fee.
- An email address for each attendee must be provided during registration.
- If you have more than 10 attendee, you may email the list to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure each name has their email address noted.
- A link will be provided by Zeffert, typically one day prior to the virtual live class. If you don't receive the link by Monday, December 12, please check your spam/trash folder. If you cannot locate it, please call the SLAA office at 314-205-8844.
- A course manual will be provided as a PDF one day prior to the virtual live class. Again, if you don't receive the manual, please check your spam/trash folder for the manual provided by Zeffert.