Business Resource Specialist - Beyond Housing
Business Resource Specialist
Overview: Beyond Housing is a nationally recognized community development organization that works to strengthen families and transform underserved communities to create a stronger, more equitable, and prosperous St. Louis region for all. We engage where we’re needed, focusing on building consensus among leaders, providing and preserving housing, fostering community structures that shape lives, and guiding systems that make people’s lives better.
We lead with vision for what a community can be ~ every community is different, but thriving communities tend to share the same basic set of positive traits regarding housing, safety, education, health, infrastructure, and access to basic human services.
We bring together leaders and resources, volunteers, and citizens, and pursue a wide assortment of creative approaches to build stronger, healthier communities for life.
Finally, we are community builders, not kingdom builders. “It’s their neighborhood, future, & dreams”. Our objective is to help build and contribute the good things we do for the sake of adding value to the lives of the people we’re honored to serve. Supporting the economic success of 24:1-based entrepreneurs contribute to the 24:1 Community’s Vision for vibrant commercial corridors where residents can work, dine, shop, and play.
Position Summary: The Business Resource Specialist works to support the creation and growth of women and Black-owned businesses in the 24:1 Community. The Specialist will manage a portfolio of client business owners, assessing their goals and providing direct services or connections to resources that support skill enhancement, capacity building, and access to capital.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
▪ Providing case management for clients whose ventures are at various stages in the business lifecycle, to include performing needs assessments, identifying goals, and generating case plans.
▪ Providing direct support as needed, making service referrals, and tracking client progress. ▪ Liaising with regional entrepreneur support organizations to coordinate services, ensuring that they are well-integrated, effective, and efficient.
▪ Using Salesforce to manage service delivery data, track client goals, and evaluate intervention effectiveness.
▪ Staying up to date on local resources for small business development in the St. Louis ecosystem ▪ Cultivating trusting relationships with clients by providing organized, compassionate, and culturally competent support, and setting clear expectations for the relationship.
▪ Providing coordination support for Beyond Housing’s small business programs, to include the Biz Smart Start pre-accelerator and the 24:1 Small Business Network.
▪ Supporting other tasks related to small businesses programming as needed.
▪ Collaborative – A dynamic personality that is collaboratively minded, can recognize, and identify strengths, seek consensus around mutual goals, and build meaningful relationships.
▪ Creative and Curious -- A systems-thinker and builder, who is not afraid to be innovative in designing solutions and has skills in articulating these ideas and concepts.
▪ Methodical -- Strong analytical, systems, and problem-solving skills to evaluate performance, prepare reports, and recommend/implement solutions using independent judgment. Ability to move from concepts to action through strong program design and evaluation.
▪ Reliable -- Skills that reflect and value a team approach, demonstrated integrity, effectiveness, efficiency, and the ability to deliver high quality service. Highly capable of handling multiple tasks, projects and timelines. Excellent oral and written communications skills.
▪ Trusted -- Ability to work with residents, partners, and staff of diversified backgrounds with a positive, optimistic, solutions-oriented attitude. Shares a deep respect for the community, its stakeholders and the residents that we serve.
▪ Driven -- Passion for the work and an interest in continuous learning and improvement.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
▪ A bachelor’s degree or roughly four to eight years of work experience in a related field required. ▪ Computer literacy required; proficiency in Microsoft Suite and Salesforce (or another CRM platform) preferred.
▪ Experience working in under-resourced communities and knowledge of the unique challenges faced by minority entrepreneurs preferred.
▪ Experience working in or knowledge of the St. Louis business ecosystem preferred. ▪ An entrepreneurial mindset required.
Economic Development Manager
Salary and Benefits:
▪ Full-time position with benefits
▪ Salary - $45,000
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on Beyond Housing, visit www.beyondhousing.org.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Beyond Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ADA – Beyond Housing is committed to furthering the purpose of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). The company is always willing to consider reasonable accommodations, which may allow a disabled person to perform this or any other job. The Summary of Physical Requirements is a list of what we believe at this point to be necessary in order to perform the essential functions of the job.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement: At Beyond Housing, we are committed to promoting Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity throughout our organization and culture. We strive to understand and appreciate the individuality of every employee and create a better place to work for all. We nurture a culture where everyone positively acknowledges equity through action and is aware, understanding, and appreciative of diversity.
Our vision is to go beyond simple tolerance and fully embrace the things that make each person unique. We recognize that our employees’ differences support our ability to advance equity for the communities we serve. Further, we understand that equity is critical to the fulfillment of our mission to help entire communities become better places to live.